these are some questions i received from the wonderful and brilliant julia (her tumblr is riftedal)
1. What’s your favourite thing to have for breakfast?
i’d honestly prefer nothing but water because i end up feeling like a sloth after i eat in the morning, but i do love a croissant.
2. Do you have an accent? And if so, do you like it?
i have a mild to medium cape breton accent that comes out from time to time (mostly when i am drinking or talking to another caper). in most settings, though, i would imagine i sound like i have a general east coast accent.
3. What was the last book you read?
the last book i read was a collection of poetry and prose by anne carson called plainwater. here’s my favourite bit:
Beauty makes me hopeless. I don’t care why anymore I just want to get away. When I look at the city of Paris I long to wrap my legs around it. When I watch you dancing there is a heartless immensity like a sailor in a dead-calm sea. Desires as round as peaches bloom in me all night, I no longer gather what falls.
4. If you were given magic athletic powers so that you suddenly really good at a sport, which sport would you like this to be?
i wouldn’t mind being an amazing cyclist.
5. Do you like mountains or the sea more?
the sea. i feel incredibly strange when forced to be parted from the atlantic for too long. most days of my life have seen the ocean.
6. Do you like baking? And if so, what’s your favourite thing to bake?
i do like baking! it’s a recent love, and i love to bake carrot cake.
7. Thunderstorms? Yes or no?
8. How would you describe your appearance to someone who doesn’t know what you look like?
i have short brown hair and according to other people i look like:
a) “someone from the 60s”, b) “carson mccullers”, c) “a boy”, and d) “a pretentious ass”.
i think i just look like me.
9. What’s your favourite weather?
i need a constant cycle of rainy spring weather and light autumn sunshine.
10. Are you a forgetful person or someone who remembers everything?
lately i’ve been forgetting everything. i used to be different.
11. What do you like to do to relax?
i like to walk around the city at nighttime after work. i buy chocolate and saunter down the sidewalks of those sleepy little suburban south streets. i listen to a lot of folkies and dip my toes in the bay most nights. if all else fails, india pale ale.
12. Are you excited about autumn?
you know it.
13. Which fictional character do you think you’re most like when it comes to personality?
oh jesus. um, i’ll just say the first one that comes into my head…
the speaker of the beauty of the husband? (i’m half-joking, i swear).
14. Which fictional character do you think you look most like when it comes to appearance?
someone said madeline recently. they were joking, but i’ll say that.
15. If you got to inherit an old very beautiful castle, but that had rumours to be haunted, would you still want it?
16. What Hogwarts house would you place yourself in?
back in the day i very much wanted to be a gryffindor girl. i haven’t been in that headspace in a while, but i’ll say the same.